Saturday 25 January 2014

Hello all, today I have been continuing my overhaul on the little comb puppet. It now has a fun little breathing mechanism that I'm quite happy with.
Its operated with a little ring on the inside and is designed to work in conjunction with the support handle down the spine. The body is a 2 liter milk bottle this time, this allows more flexibility of the shoulders. The upper arms are of a comparatively thicker plastic and so push the little tabs on the milk bottle into the body cavity when the arm is raised. I'm pleased to finally have this shoulder system working properly. The neck also has some changes. The plastic tube has taught elastic running through it. This system holds the head upright when not held by the puppeteer, whilst still allowing it to be moved about freely as required.

Today I have mainly been working on the arm.

When its finished a swiveling paddle on the control handle will allow the puppeteer to remotely pivot the wrist up and down, allowing nicer expression and follow through of arm movement.
This video was most helpful while I was making the arm, my arm is essentially a miniature version of what this lady made: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hAVCtWOLuDQ

Lastly I have been weathering one of my plastic afro combs for the puppets face.
Sadly these are the only suitable combs I am able to easily find, although I've been checking ebay regularly for cheap carved combs I'm being pretty picky with what I want. I'm hoping that with a little dry-brushing this comb will resemble rough-carved wood.




No comments:

Post a Comment